Job interviews can be challenging and stressful. Planning ahead and being prepared for hard questions will give you an edge. Here are some tips to ensure a smooth interview.
- Practice interviewing ahead of time so you are comfortable with the process.
- Make sure your qualifications are appropriate for the position at hand. Be ready to demonstrate your proficiency in the tasks associated with the job.
- Be prepared. Learn all you can about the company ahead of time. Have an understanding of the business and the services provided.
- Dress appropriately. Project an image of workplace professionalism. Understanding the environment of the business is critical.
- Speak slowly and with confidence. Be prepared to sell yourself without being overbearing. If you don’t know the answer, be honest. Eye contact is essential and body language should convey a positive attitude.
- Don’t lie! Exaggerations about previous jobs or experiences can, and will, come back to haunt you. Employers do background checks, including previous positions and duties. Be honest about what skills you have.
- Don’t interrupt the interviewer to interject your opinions or responses.
- Don’t bad mouth your old company or supervisors during the interview.
- Ask questions when given the opportunity. For example, show interest in the position by asking specific questions about the tasks or ask questions about where the company sees itself in 5 years.
Send a follow up “thank you” letter to the interviewer showing your appreciation while conveying your continued interest in the position.
-Tracy Frischkorn, HR Director